Sign up ×
Poker Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for serious players and enthusiasts of poker. It's 100% free, no registration required.

A friend has hand tremors that make him unable to deal the cards. Otherwise he's fully able to play. How best to include him in a home game?

It seems the two options are to skip his deal or have someone else deal for him. The latter maintains the seating position advantages/disadvantages. Is it best then to circulate this responsibility somehow, or to always have the person to his right deal (as if he is my friend, of course, so that the substitute dealer deals first to the SB, the person to the left of my friend)?

I've searched the web extensively and cannot find any reference to any standard or clearly preferred way of managing this. My friend is new to this group so it would help if I could show them a reference to a standard procedure, that we could agree to beforehand. Thanks!

share|improve this question
Why the downvote? –  Philipp Horn Aug 8 '13 at 10:23
sorry but this sounds stupid. of course someone deals for your friend. and he has dealer button. it's like he has no hands, so shall we help him to drink water by holding the bottle...of course man. sorry but i guess that's why downvote. –  RayofCommand Sep 9 '13 at 16:10

1 Answer 1

I don't think you will find any "official" rules about this situation because in most "official" poker tournaments/cash games the players do not deal themselves anyway.

It would be a bad idea to skip his deal because, as you already pointed out, this would disturb the seating positions. Just have someone deal for him - in the right order of course (clockwise, starting with the small bet). Since this is a home game, you can make the rules - just make sure everyone knows and agrees to them.

share|improve this answer

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.