I've been watching some videos over at pokerstars.tv and the commentators have a name for limpers that call a later pre-flop raise. I think it was the name of the first (american?) tournament player that started to do that. Anybody kows what the name was?


OK, found out! They refer to it as doing a "Gibbons"

| improve this answer | |
  • I think a Gibbons is someone who limps early position with a big hand and then just calls a later raise. Close to the same thing, but it has to be a big hand. – mpeters Nov 7 '14 at 19:28

I am not familiar with this name, but in many broadcasts I heard the reporters calling those people "calling stations".

| improve this answer | |
  • 1
    Calling stations are just people who always call and rarely fold or raise. Calling a pre-flop raise is called limping. – defhlt May 5 '13 at 14:08
  • 2
    @ArtemIce: Calling the big blind preflop is called limping. However, the question for limpers, who also call a later preflop raise. – azimut May 6 '13 at 19:38

Players can be classified as "Passive" or "Aggressive" based on the ratio of calls to bets & raises, and as "Tight" or "Loose" based on the proportion of hands they play (not including un-raised blinds)

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.