I play tourneys exclusively and live in Las Vegas. I have a dedicated poker bankroll to play tourneys in the $125-$150 range without any issue. When I play higher, I usually take on investors.
I'd like to get some thoughts on comparing tournaments. Since I play a lot of them and I bring a professional mindset to the table, I need to pay attention to all of the finer details. Right now I'm stuck between two tournaments and will try to represent what I think are the pros and cons of each. I'd like to hear some feedback on this, maybe I'm looking at each tourney the wrong way? Assuming you are playing tourneys 3-4 times a week, which tourney would you pick and why?
Aria 1PM Daily
- $125 entry, $100 to prize pool - effectively a 25% commission
- Large fields, I have yet to play in this with anything less than 100 players. It's basically a 10K prize pool every day
- It's a LONG day, about a 12-hour commitment to run deep. I've cashed in this tourney 3 times and you're pretty spent at the end of it.
- Prize pool is very top heavy. One of my cashes was for 10th place, 10 hours into it and I only made about $20/hour for my time - that was brutal. Having said that, if you can chop the final table, it can be around $1300-1500 for about $100/hour
Wynn Noon Daily
- $140 entry, $125 to prize pool - effectively a 12% commission
- Small field - they average about 40-50 players on any given day
- I've chopped this tournament and it's about 6-7 hours from beginning to end
- You have to get to the top, top of the field to make any real money. Only 3-4 spots pay and only the very top is over $1000. Having said that, when I have chopped, it comes to about $180/hour